Athletics has come a long way since the ancient Olympics of Greece. The sport now often referred to as "track and field" has nearly 50 outdoor and 25 indoor events that fall under the International Association of Athletics Federation authority.
Apart from encouraging the development of motor skills, agility, endurance, and hand-eye coordination, as almost all sports do, individual sports combine physical fitness with mental development.
At West Midlands Sports Development we follow national governing body recommendations.
- We ensure Coaches are suitably qualified i.e. hold at least a UKCC Level 2 coaching award.
- All coaches should have attended a sports coach UK Safeguarding & Protecting Children course or an equivalent child protection course.
- All coaches and club personnel working directly with children are Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checked.
- All coaches are monitored of in their role to ensure they maintain the high standards of coaching practice.
- All coaches have a valid emergency or first aid qualification.
During planning for our courses our aim is to:
- Ensure a suitable coach to player ratio.
- Ensure additional adults are present whilst coaching sessions are undertaken.
- Ensure any volunteers that may support our resident coaches are aware of our strict coaching philosophy.
All our coaches are committed to the new 1st4Sport Level 3 Certificate Supporting the Delivery of Physical Education and School Sport.
Leave a comment
- Chadsmoor | St Josephs