Handball has been called football with hands. It is a continuous play sport involving the fitness basics of running, throwing, catching and jumping. It has been suggested that the game is one of the oldest in the world as elements of the sport are found through out history in many civilisations
Handball requires speed strength and agility and it has numerous health and fitness benefits:
- It develops arm muscles and upper body strength.
- As quick movement changes are required it builds agility of hands and feet.
- Improves the body's flexibility.
- Stimulates mental focus and self-confidence
- Provides the body with a good cardiovascular workout delivering more oxygen to the muscles via the bloodstream.
At West Midlands Sports Development we follow national governing body recommendations.
- We ensure Coaches are suitably qualified i.e. hold at least a UKCC Level 2 coaching award.
- All coaches should have attended a sports coach UK Safeguarding & Protecting Children course or an equivalent child protection course.
- All coaches and club personnel working directly with children are Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checked.
- All coaches are monitored of in their role to ensure they maintain the high standards of coaching practice.
- All coaches have a valid emergency or first aid qualification.
During planning for our courses our aim is to:
- Ensure a suitable coach to player ratio.
- Ensure additional adults are present whilst coaching sessions are undertaken.
- Ensure any volunteers that may support our resident coaches are aware of our strict coaching philosophy.
All our coaches are committed to the new 1st4Sport Level 3 Certificate Supporting the Delivery of Physical Education and School Sport.
Leave a comment
- Chadsmoor | St Josephs