It is suggested that like perhaps kicking a ball like object around the most natural thing to do is to pick up a stick and hit a ball like object around! Stick and ball games have been around for centuries and recorded across the world in various forms but the modern variant of field hockey is reputed to have begun in 19th century England.
Field hockey is a very aerobic sport, so it promotes healthy weight, heart health and a good metabolism.
- As a team game it develops cooperation.
- Hockey is a high-intensity sport that has many cardiovascular benefits.
- It contributes to good eye/hand coordination and peripheral vision.
- It is a game anybody could play and is easy to learn.
- Develops and strengthens the body muscles, especially the groups of leg, hand, arm and shoulder muscles.
At West Midlands Sports Development we follow national governing body recommendations.
- We ensure Coaches are suitably qualified i.e. hold at least a UKCC Level 2 coaching award.
- All coaches should have attended a sports coach UK Safeguarding & Protecting Children course or an equivalent child protection course.
- All coaches and club personnel working directly with children are Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checked.
- All coaches are monitored of in their role to ensure they maintain the high standards of coaching practice.
- All coaches have a valid emergency or first aid qualification.
During planning for our courses our aim is to:
- Ensure a suitable coach to player ratio.
- Ensure additional adults are present whilst coaching sessions are undertaken.
- Ensure any volunteers that may support our resident coaches are aware of our strict coaching philosophy.
All our coaches are committed to the new 1st4Sport Level 3 Certificate Supporting the Delivery of Physical Education and School Sport.
Leave a comment
- Chadsmoor | St Josephs